Wastewater Treatment Plant
The Arkansas City Wastewater Treatment Plant
The City of Arkansas City’s Wastewater Treatment Facility (WWTF) was constructed in 1958 utilizing Trickling Filters and Anaerobic Sludge Digestion. In 1982, the WWTF was upgraded to include Activated Sludge in addition to the Trickling Filters with a design average capacity of 2.1 million gallons per day (MGD) with peak flow capability of 4.7 MGD.
Another upgrade to the WWTF was completed in 2001. This upgrade involved the installation of an ultraviolet light disinfection system and high river level pump station. Much of the old equipment, such as pumps and barscreens, was replaced during this upgrade as well. The primary purpose of 2001 upgrade was to reduced the quantity of bacteriological life remaining in the treated effluent released to the Arkansas River. Furthermore, a high river level pump station was constructed so that treated effluent could be pumped to the river during high river level events.
Biosolids that are produced meet the definition of Class A under the USEPA’s Clean Water Act, Part 503 sludge regulations. These beneficial biosolids are applied to agricultural land to enhance growth of crops. Much of the biosolids produced are dried and used on grasslands and recreational areas.
The City maintains an EPA Accredited Environmental Laboratory. City Lab Technicians perform many of the analyses required under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permit, while some parameters are conducted by contract with private laboratories.