City Manager Department
The City Manager Department includes the City Commission, City Manager’s Office, City Clerk/Municipal Court Division, Emergency Management Coordinator, Finance Division, Information Technology (IT) Division, Human Resources Division, Management Assistant, Neighborhood Services Division, Principal Planner and Public Information Officer/Special Projects Coordinator.
The City Manager is the chief executive officer of the City, and is responsible for the performance and productivity of all other City departments and divisions.
City Manager Randy Frazer
P.O. Box 778
118 W. Central Ave.
Arkansas City, KS 67005
Duties of the City Manager
The City Manager is appointed by the City Commission, based on professional training and qualifications, to carry out the Commission’s policies and decisions, and to ensure that the entire community is being served efficiently and effectively.
The City Manager’s duties and responsibilities, as outlined in state law and Municipal Code, include the following:
- The administration of the City’s business shall be the responsibility of the manager.
- The manager shall be appointed by the City Commission and shall hold office at the pleasure of the commissioners.
- The manager shall be chosen solely upon the basis of administrative ability.
- The manager shall receive a salary fixed by the City Commission.
- The manager shall be responsible for the administration of all the affairs of the City, and shall see that the laws and ordinances are enforced.
- The manager shall appoint and remove all employees of the City, and all appointments shall be upon merit and fitness alone.
- The manager shall be responsible for the discipline of all appointive officers and may, without notice, cause the affairs of any department or the conduct of any employee to be examined.
- The manager shall prepare and submit the annual budget to the Governing Body.
- The manager shall keep the City Commission fully advised as to the financial conditions and needs of the City.
- The manager may make recommendations to the City Commission on all matters concerning the welfare of the City.
- The manager shall have a seat, but no vote, in all the public meetings of the Governing Body.
- All department heads shall make regular reports to the manager.