Arkansas City Municipal Court
Located in City Hall
118 NW. Central Ave.
Arkansas City, KS 67005
COVID-19 Reopening Procedures
Arkansas City Municipal Court, which was closed to the public due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, will reopen May 19, 2020, according to the procedures listed below.
These procedures are being implemented to allow for court to continue in an efficient and timely manner while minimizing the exposure risk to all court participants and employees:
- All attorneys and court participants shall conduct their business in the courtroom promptly and exit the building as soon as their business is complete. Please do not loiter in the hallway.
- A hand sanitizer station will be available at the front entry of City Hall.
- In accordance with Gov. Laura Kelly’s Ad Astra: A Plan to Reopen Kansas, all court participants are strongly encouraged to wear a mask or face covering and abide by social distancing guidelines to remain 6 feet from other individuals at all times.
- Only participants with a scheduled court appearance (and their attorney) will be permitted in the courtroom. All family members and friends will be asked to wait outside.
- No children will be allowed in the courtroom unless authorized by the Court.
Conference with the City Prosecutor: All court participants wishing to discuss their case with the City Prosecutor or request a diversion may appear in person at the Municipal Court Clerk’s Office on Tuesdays between 1 and 3 p.m. Calls made to the City Prosecutor outside this time will be returned as soon as possible.
Court Appearances: All court participants with upcoming appearances should expect to appear at the main entrance of City Hall on the day their case is set.
Attorneys: Attorneys are encouraged to use email or mail to send all documents for filing. Attorneys who have cases scheduled on the docket will be permitted to enter, but will be asked to exit when their case is complete.
Request for Continuances: Any participant or attorney that is ill or has a fever should contact the Municipal Court Clerk. Their case will be reset for a future appearance. All court participants and attorneys 65 or older, or who are considered vulnerable, may contact the clerk to request a continuance prior to the day of their court appearance. The Judge will have the sole discretion to grant continuances, but will allow continuances to these parties when possible.
The above procedures are subject to modification by the Court at any time. It is anticipated that additional, transitional procedures reflecting the next phase of reopening will be announced as necessary. Arkansas City Municipal Court Clerk Lesley Shook may be reached at (620) 441-4408.
- 1 to 3:00 p.m. — Payment Docket
- 1:30 p.m. — Arraignments
- 2:30 p.m. — Trials
Monday through Friday
- 8 a.m. to noon
- 1 to 5 p.m.
- at Utility Billing Office (Across hall from Courtroom).