Text Size Translate

The City of Arkansas City strives to provide a high quality of life for its citizens by furnishing a variety of efficient services in a professional, courteous manner.

City Hall closing starting March 23 in response to coronavirus

Payments may continue through window next to south door, other means

City of Arkansas City logoARKANSAS CITY, Kan. (March 20, 2020) To maintain employee health and help limit the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) locally, the City of Arkansas City will close City Hall to the public starting March 23.

This closure will be for a minimum of two weeks and will be re-evaluated in early April.

The City will strive to disrupt services as little as possible during this time through a variety of measures, including telephones; video conferences; and online, drive-through and drop-off methods (see below for more details).

There may be some scheduling of appointments for any services that require in-person contact.

“This additional measure is to help protect the health and safety of critical office employees who still need to report to work,” said City Manager Nick Hernandez.

“They will continue to answer phones and provide services. We are sorry for any inconvenience this closure may cause and hope it is temporary.”

Arkansas City Municipal Court has already been suspended for the next two weeks. Critical services such as Fire-EMS, police, sanitation, water, wastewater and other services will continue uninterrupted.

All other City facilities, including the following, will remain closed to the public indefinitely:

  • Agri-Business Building, located at 712 W. Washington Ave.;
  • Arkansas City Public Library, located at 120 E. Fifth Ave.;
  • Cleo Graves Memorial Hogan, located in Ranney Park at 326 E. Poplar Ave.;
  • Northwest Community Center, located at 615 W. Birch Ave.;
  • Senior Citizens Center, located at 320 South A St. (but Meals on Wheels program is continuing);
  • Recycling trailers located at the middle school, Cowley College and Spring Hill Golf Course.

No City parks are being closed at this time, but the City encourages all citizens to follow all health recommendations, including safe social distancing methods, and to refrain from using parks or trails if they are sick.

The status of City parks may be re-evaluated if any positive COVID-19 cases are reported in Cowley County.

Below are the City departments and divisions that operate out of City Hall, the contact information for those departments, and a description of how the City will continue to serve the public in a manner that minimizes citizens’ risk of exposure and increases our ability to deliver services over the coming weeks:

Finance Department

Customer service, Municipal Court payments and utility billing

For those residents who wish to pay by credit or debit card, the following services are available:

  • Visit www.arkcity.org and click on “Online Payments” under the main photo or, in the top navigation bar, hover over “I Want To…” and then “Pay,” then click “Utility Bill.”
  • Access the City of Arkansas City’s online utility payment system directly at www.municipalonlinepayments.com/arkansascityks.
  • Call 441-4401 or 441-4402 to talk to a customer service specialist and pay by telephone (this option only available during business hours, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday).

For those residents who wish to pay by check, the following services are available:

  • Mail payments to City Hall, P.O. Box 778, 118 W. Central Ave., Arkansas City, KS 67005.
  • Use the utility dropbox located in the alley east of City Hall to drop off your payment.
  • Use the City of Arkansas City dropbox located at the Dillons customer service counter.

For those residents who wish to pay with cash, the following service is available:

  • Use the walk-up window, located just to the right (east) of the main (south) door to City Hall.

To establish or stop utility service, please call 441-4401 or 441-4402 to talk to a customer service specialist, or use the walk-up window. The walk-up window also is available for court payment plans.

Neighborhood Services Division

Building permits, code enforcement, planning and zoning

For building permits, inspections and dropping off plans, all services will be by appointment. Please first call 441-4420. You may also email twatts@arkcity.org. Neighborhood Services Division staff then will coordinate with citizens or contractors directly on how to best serve them.

For GIS, planning and zoning development needs, please call 441-4420 or email jwhite@arkcity.org.

Much Neighborhood Services Division information and resources also are accessible on the City’s website here.

City Manager Department

City clerk/municipal court, human resources, city manager, PIO

Services provided to the public out of the Human Resources Division, including job listings, are available on the City’s website here. For questions or to schedule an appointment with HR, call 441-4406 or email kmccubbin@arkcity.org.

Most applications and open government forms are available on the City’s website here. For Municipal Court-related questions or to schedule an appointment, please call 441-4408 or email lshook@arkcity.org.

The walk-up window also is available to make Municipal Court payment plan arrangements.

The City Manager remains available by phone at 441-4414 or by email at nhernandez@arkcity.org.

The Public Information Officer may be contacted at 441-4415, 660-5963 or alawson@arkcity.org.

Other City facilities

Including City Hall, all City facilities housing City personnel will be off-limits to the public indefinitely, except for exceptional circumstances.

This restriction includes the Bryant Shop, Central Shop, Fire-EMS Department, Parks Shop, Police Department, Water Treatment Facility and Wastewater Treatment Plant.

The Meals on Wheels program will continue indefinitely as a curbside pickup or delivery service only.

For questions or concerns about any of these closures or changes, please call Hernandez at (620) 441-4414 or email him at nhernandez@arkansascityks.gov.

For the latest information about COVID-19, please visit the CDC website at www.cdc.gov or the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) webpage at www.kdheks.gov/coronavirus.